Rhon-a-logue: Leave no book unfinished.

A faithful list of all the books I read (starting in January, 2005). Starting October 2007, also includes reviews and opinions from the sister who started it all with her attempt at Christmas 2004 to recall all the books she had read that year. Now you can find out exactly what we think about everything we read.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Terror at Turtle Mountain

Terror at Turtle Mountain - Penny Draper

I wish I'd realized this was based on true, historical events in the Canadian West. I might have paid more attention to some of the details along the way. This was a nice pre-teen/young teen story about a girl living in a coal mining town in the Rockies. After a tragedy at the mine, she has to find her inner strength to help the rest of the townsfolk deal with the aftermath. And I mean physically deal with a rockslide, not emotionally heal in the days and weeks following. Interesting read, and one I'd recommend if you are trying to raise independent, feminist Canadians with a strong sense of national pride. Or, if you just want the kids in your life to read something that doesn't have a single pop culture reference.

Passed this on to my baby sister, so she had to carry it back from Halifax.

July 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home