Rhon-a-logue: Leave no book unfinished.

A faithful list of all the books I read (starting in January, 2005). Starting October 2007, also includes reviews and opinions from the sister who started it all with her attempt at Christmas 2004 to recall all the books she had read that year. Now you can find out exactly what we think about everything we read.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Birding Babylon - A Soldier's Journal from Iraq

Birding Babylon - A Soldier's Journal from Iraq - Jonathan Trouen-Trend

Very fast read - in another time, this might have been called a slight tome. The concept was interesting - what sorts of birds could a birdwatching soldier posted to Iraq observe? He does a great job cataloguing the various birds, setting up the circumstances of his opportunities to birdwatch, and commenting on the war only as it relates to or interferes with his ability to birdwatch. I like books that explore wars from different perspectives, and this did that. The only criticism I have is that I'm not a bird lover, and this didn't change my opinion of the vicious creatures at all. Perhaps a great book would have convinced me to appreciate, if not love, the foul winged beasts.

February 2007.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those vicious foul (or is it fowl)winged beasts make the book sound terrifying. And to think that when I hear about the horrors of war I rarely consider soldiers quaking in fear of pigeons and plovers.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home