Rhon-a-logue: Leave no book unfinished.

A faithful list of all the books I read (starting in January, 2005). Starting October 2007, also includes reviews and opinions from the sister who started it all with her attempt at Christmas 2004 to recall all the books she had read that year. Now you can find out exactly what we think about everything we read.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Ghost at the Table

The Ghost at the Table - Suzanne Berne

Nicely written book. I read it after Terror at Turtle Mountain, so when the protagonist talks about the "Sisters of History" books she writes, I immediately wondered if this is how Penny Draper would describe her writing gig. Not identical, but same sort of pro-girl perspectives. Anyway, what I particularly enjoyed was how the 2 sisters have completely opposite recollections of the same events in their family history. As someone with 2 sisters and a brother, this was pitch-perfect! Berne captures the concern that comes with realizing you are not dressed appropriately for a family function, followed by the criticism from other family members who don't care/don't realize that you know you are not dressed appropriately. It was one of those chapters where you want to jump in and explain things to the characters so that they don't get the wrong idea.

If I remember correctly, this one comes out in the fall. It was a freebie from the Book Expo, and I left it in Halifax for my big little sister to read.

July 2006.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure where to leave general messages but wanted to let you know the blog is great. I just wish I knew how to find the time to read as much. I look forward to reading more
Kim

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home