Rhon-a-logue: Leave no book unfinished.

A faithful list of all the books I read (starting in January, 2005). Starting October 2007, also includes reviews and opinions from the sister who started it all with her attempt at Christmas 2004 to recall all the books she had read that year. Now you can find out exactly what we think about everything we read.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman

This is the first one in the series, His Dark Materials. I don't know how I missed it for so long! I picked this up because Kai Meyer's The Flowing Queen was compared to this series, and I really enjoyed Meyer's books. Well I love this! And, they are releasing a movie version this winter. The preview looks fabulous. I can't wait to see it - I'm hoping it will be another LOTR style adaptation; faithful to the book, but beautiful to watch.

The hubby and I debated whether someone who enjoyed Harry Potter would enjoy this. I'm not convinced. The otherworld aspects are slightly less accessible than Hogwart's, and there is a complicated theological structure which might turn some people off. I loved it, though, and would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy writing, not just Harry Potter.

May 2007.

3 Comments:

Blogger cmrpaul said...

I think this is a terrific idea and have been drafting a book post since yesterday so it's funny that I came upon your blog:) The Golden Compass is a must-read for me very soon since the movie is nearly here. Toodles:)

3:36 PM  
Blogger Rhon said...

You'll love the book! If you're going to be posting about books, I'd be interested in linking to your blog. Let me know what you think.

8:10 AM  
Blogger cmrpaul said...

That would be great! I haven't read in a while since I was devoting every waking hour to my website, but please do link as I am back in the habit--esp with Harry's finale coming up soon. I assume it's okay for me to link to yours. I've done so, so please let me know if that's not cool. I'm reading the last of the Bartimaeus Trilogy right now. Fab!! (Kids books are my weakness!)

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home