Rhon-a-logue: Leave no book unfinished.

A faithful list of all the books I read (starting in January, 2005). Starting October 2007, also includes reviews and opinions from the sister who started it all with her attempt at Christmas 2004 to recall all the books she had read that year. Now you can find out exactly what we think about everything we read.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Fly in the Ointment

The Fly in the Ointment - Dr. Joe Schwarz

Good science essays by a respected Canadian. Included one of my favourite topics - supertasters! (I've read about supertasters in my Allure magazine years ago, which my husband thinks is nonsense. However, Dr. Schwarz agrees that some people are more sensitive to strong tastes like broccoli based on number and placement of taste buds, thereby validating my assertion that I can't eat certain vegetables because I am a supertaster). Finally silenced my hubby on this subject!

Also addressed a lot of false scientific assumptions: DEET hasn't killed off bird populations, (Silent Spring was a poorly researched book that happened to get a lot of positive press), anti-perspirant isn't going to give you Alzheimers, etc.

Sadly, the positive message was "eat 10 servings of fruit and vegetables a day" - nothing else has had so many scientifically valid studies proving the positive health benefits.

Highly recommend this, especially to those gullible souls who believe chain emails and urban myths. It would be impolite to reveal who I passed this on to!

November 2007.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home