Rhon-a-logue: Leave no book unfinished.

A faithful list of all the books I read (starting in January, 2005). Starting October 2007, also includes reviews and opinions from the sister who started it all with her attempt at Christmas 2004 to recall all the books she had read that year. Now you can find out exactly what we think about everything we read.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Time Traveller's Wife

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

I loved this one! My sister in Halifax lent it to me (I think her book club read it). The structure was complex, but flawless. The relationship was so believable, you didn't even question the time travelling. A few places really made me cry - especially when you approached them from different points in time (not to spoil it, but daughter, death, and old wife were all very poignant and heartbreaking at one point or another). You'll know what I mean when you read it. I will say it was a slow read - I started it in October but didn't finish until November. I ended up couriering it to my Burnaby colleague so she could read it. She was trying to decide on her book club selection for the coming year, and I thought she should check this out.

November 2006.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

I read this too, I thought it was a strange book, but so sad! While reading it, I could feel it coming, I could feel the tension building inside of myself...it was a very emotional book.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Rhon said...

For happy time travel (although the time travel is only incidental to the rest of the book), you should check out Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. I reviewed them back in the 2005 posts. Very funny, no emotional tension.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home