Rhon-a-logue: Leave no book unfinished.

A faithful list of all the books I read (starting in January, 2005). Starting October 2007, also includes reviews and opinions from the sister who started it all with her attempt at Christmas 2004 to recall all the books she had read that year. Now you can find out exactly what we think about everything we read.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Letter Perfect

Letter Perfect - David Sacks

Let me start by saying, I loved this book. I didn't love all of the charts in it (I'm a reader, not a visual person), but I really enjoyed it. It took a bit longer to read than my usual fare, because it is the history of the alphabet. This Canadian writer documented the history of the alphabet! From the Egyptian "letter" symbols, to the first Semitic alphabet, to Phoenician, to Etruscan, to Greek and so forth. The charts really were a little dry for me, but the examples were cool, and I loved learning the histories of various typefaces. The book starts out with an overview of the history of the whole alphabet, and then goes into letter by letter detail.

I've been sprinkling references to this in coversations for a week now, and as I suspected, no one I know will ever ask to borrow this from me. I may be the only person to read it. If anyone reading this blog has read it, please comment, so I don't feel so nerdy and alone!

September 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home