Rhon-a-logue: Leave no book unfinished.

A faithful list of all the books I read (starting in January, 2005). Starting October 2007, also includes reviews and opinions from the sister who started it all with her attempt at Christmas 2004 to recall all the books she had read that year. Now you can find out exactly what we think about everything we read.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Mrs. Zhivago of Queen's Park

Mrs. Zhivago of Queen's Park - Olivia Lichtenstein

Thanks Orion books and Olivia - I got this free at Book Expo 2007 and loved it. Really good. I should tell you that the setting is London (as the hubby pointed out, anywhere that has a monarchy probably has a Queen's Park), not Toronto as I initially believed. The recipes at the beginning of each chapter started to feel a bit gimmicky to me, and in some cases, I skipped them. People who like to cook might love them, though.

The main character's relationship with her father was beautifully written, and the au pair and her special friend were hilarious. I loved the scene where she thought Bea was quitting, but instead she ended up hiring them both.

The very end of the story was poignant - when you realized her husband knew (or suspected) all along, but hadn't confronted her about her affair. This one made me happy they stayed together.

The cocaine-addicted best friend made me sad, but again, the friendship was very well-written.

I highly recommend this one to anyone who has been married for what seems like forever.

July 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home